Friday 12 October 2012

Diary of a Football Nobody

Diary of a Football Nobody is actually a play rather than a film, however, as a Notts County fan through and through I felt that I had to review it. Every time I go to the theatre I enjoy it and always say to myself that I should go to the theatre more often, several years later I'll go to see my next play and say the exact same thing.
This play, based on the book by David McVay that was first released in 2003, is a collection of exerts from McVay's diary during 1974/75. I did wonder how this was going to be transferred to the stage, but I had no reason to worry as it was achieved with great imagination and good use of the actor's abilities.
Perry Fitzpatrick as McVay was outstanding. It still amazes me every time I go to the theatre how actors manage to remember all their lines. I struggle to remember short jokes, never mind an entire character's lines in a play, or as was the case for the other actors, multiple lines for multiple characters! 
The play, as well as the book, has a great opening to it, they both have a dig at Nottingham Forest, 'the evil slime from across the River Trent' the best way into a Notts' fans heart. 
I enjoyed the use of audio and visual aspects, such as Colin Slater's commentary and the views of Nottingham in the seventies. The play was not only hilarious, but also it hit the right spots emotionally and gave a very real feel to how football used to be. It was a much more honest game where tackles were harder, yet players wouldn't roll around for half an hour trying to get the other player sent off, footballers were paid a reasonable wage and not the ridiculous amounts they are now and they were people who fans could relate to better. 
They weren't mega rich, or super fit, they were people who earned a living doing what they loved and had a lot more respect than present day footballers.
If you haven't seen this already, get down to the Nottingham Playhouse in the next week.

For fans of Notts County, football and good theatre.


No comments:

Post a Comment