Sunday 9 December 2012

Catch .44

   I spotted Bruce Willis and Forest Whitaker on the front cover of this DVD and thought it might be worth a ganders. I wasn't disappointed either, well, apart from the end, but I'll come to that soon...Tes (Malin Akerman) and her two friends have a job to do for their crime boss Mel (Bruce Willis) and it sounded straight forward. All they had to do was intercept a drug deal that was going down on Mel's patch at a small and innocent diner. As the story unfolds it becomes more than just a simple drug interception.
   The flashback scenes being interspersed throughout the film help build up a picture of how all of the characters are in the situation they are in, adding edgy suspense which helps the plot build up to the final act. Whitaker is brilliant throughout, his almost schizophrenic personality as Ronny gives him the opportunity to show off his acting skills, with varying accents and an erratic personality.
   I think I could write a page or two on the ending, but to avoid making this a spoiler I'll try to explain my annoyance with as little detail as possible...Willis is only a supporting character, his scene with Whitaker was top notch, as the two great actors put on top performances. I foolishly let myself believe that I was going to get the ending I wanted, a different ending that would have made this film a 4 star in my eyes, but a star gets knocked off for what they decide to do.

For fans of great acting performances, gritty thrillers and annoying endings.


Stars ***

No comments:

Post a Comment